How can you obtain an EHCP for your child?

A parent, guardian school, or youth person themselves (if between 16 – 25 years old) may apply to the local authority for an EHC needs assessment. Once a request is received, the local authority then has six weeks in which to decide whether to agree to an assessment.

An agreement by the local authority to undertake an assessment does not guarantee you that you will be given an EHCP for your child at the end of the process. If the local authority finds that information gathered during an assessment indicates ways in which the school lor higher education provision can meet the child or young person’s needs without an EHCP, then they will not make one. If a local authority refuses to conduct an EHC needs assessment then an appeal can be made to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal ( SENDIST)

If you are experiencing difficulty in obtaining agreement from the Local Authority to assess your child or an assessment is made but the local authority will not then agree to an EHCP, please contact us. It may be that with negotiation, these issues can be resolved without the need to appeal to the Special Education Needs and |Disability Tribunal ( SENDIST). If it is that an appeal to the tribunal is required, we are able to assist, both in terms of advice and representation.

Please contact Clare Roberts on 0115 9599550 to discuss how to obtain an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) for you or your child or use the form below.

© 2021 VHS Fletchers Solicitors | Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority Number 488216